Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The MJ Community

In celebration of our fifth anniversary, we are featuring the individual members of the Missionaries of Jesus and some excerpts from their stories of life and faith.



PERCY G. BACANI
born in 1956 (Bagabag, Nueva Vizcaya)
first vows, 1978; sacerdotal ordination, 1982

I find myself connected through uniqueness and differences and my vocation as an MJ is both to respect borders and markers and to go beyond them as well. Jesus, the border-crosser went through the incarnation to embrace our world of limits, and his cross and resurrection gave the reason to dream of a world of communion and compassion, of a new humanity capable of going beyond violence and embracing the power of shalom.


KIRBY G. BAGASLAO
born in 1979 (Mandaue City, Cebu)
first vows, 2007

My initial formation is the very first step in achieving my dream of
following Jesus through the Missionaries of Jesus.




JOEL G. CANUEL
born in 1965 (Tigbauan, Iloilo)
first vows, 1987; sacerdotal ordination, 1995


I dream of MJs who dare to live in community and who commit themselves to work together for the mission of service and total self-giving. I dream of a community of friends and disciples of Jesus who trust and support one another and who work in solidarity with the struggle of the poor, the marginalized, and the neglected towards the fullness of life.



EUGINIUS L. CAÑETE
born in 1966 (Liloan, Cebu)
first vows, 1987; sacerdotal ordination, 1995

The days following my stint in Zambia were by turns heady and chaotic for CICM. I went home tired and frustrated, wondering what happened to us in the General Chapter in Rome. Such situation reached a crescendo, which left me with no better option except to be one of the 41 founding members of the Missionaries of Jesus. I don’t mind saying that I wrote “MJ” after my name with immense pride.


GRACIOSO G. CHARCOS
born in 1962 (Balamban, Cebu)
first vows, 1985; sacerdotal ordination, 1993

As co-pastor in Modesta, San Mateo, Rizal, I am beginning to discover little by little the real challenges of being an MJ missionary. I am discovering the MJ dream—to be a sign of newness to the community, to be a sign of life and love
and unity for all, working humbly together with others in the spirit of partnership to realize God’s project.

ANTONIO M. CORDERO
born in 1964 (Maasin, Iloilo)
first vows, 1986; sacerdotal ordination, 1993

I heard these words from the mouth of Tatay (Daddy), “Remember always that you are a son of a farmer; you are to grow wherever you are planted.” Yes, to grow. Those words somehow echo a commitment always to grow and grow in commitment. I simply did not know much at the beginning. But the taste of my first “attempts at mission” turned out to be quite pleasant. And so I always said that I would always give it another “try”. Year after year, I keep saying the same words, “Give it another try.”



RAMON G. CORONEL
born in 1954 (Manila)
first vows, 1978

More than once, we have commented that our choice of name, “Missionaries of Jesus”, was either astonishingly serendipitous or overly daring. We carry Jesus’ name! What a huge responsibility this is, and what a wrenching cry for grace …







ROGELIO D. DEL ROSARIO
born in 1951 (Hagonoy, Bulacan)
first vows, 1973; sacerdotal ordination, 1977

In 2002, I was celebrating my 25th year of priesthood and we were parting ways with CICM. The pain was not so much in leaving the mother congregation but more in having to separate from the people we have learned to love in Africa. My decision to be an MJ was not traumatic. I was lucky to be with three others who were thinking in the same way. I simply said “yes”. Now, I am coming to know the meaning of that response. The ‘yes’ means to be more trusting in God’s Providence.


GREGORIO D. DOMILIES
born in 1962 (Mangkayan, Benguet)
first vows, 1985; sacerdotal ordination on, 1992

I was appointed parish priest of All Saints’ in the Diocese of Lae, Papua New Guinea. It is a parish located inside a huge settlement area. Alongside my work in the parish, I was also asked to help out in our Diocesan HIV-AIDS Center
and Clinic, a pioneering work. In all these experiences I feel I am part of the MJ dream, especially the dream to do mission differently.


APOLONIO M. DULAWAN
born in 1967 (Tinoc, Ifugao)
first vows, 1989; sacerdotal ordination, 1998

I arrived in Lae, Papua New Guinea, on May 14, 2003. I was then assigned as
Parish Priest of Holy Spirit and as Chaplain of Buimo Correctional Institute and
the St Therese Vocational Centre. I know the journey is not over yet, but I am
ready to keep on taking risks as a missionary of Jesus.


WILFREDO T. DULAY
born in 1945 (Paco, Manila)
first vows, 1966; sacerdotal ordination, 1971

We sought refuge in Jesus as friend and brother, as teacher and master, as the beloved who loved us first. He gave us a face. He gave us his face. Now—let all be warned—we risk becoming his faces to the world. That’s tough, but I guess that’s what we want to be for the people we meet and would like to serve in his name.






JOEY G. EVANGELISTA
born in 1970 (Baguio City)
first vows, 1991; sacerdotal ordination, 1998

At present, I am doing my doctoral studies in theology at the Loyola School of Theology. Looking back at these past five years, I remain steadfast in my commitment to do mission as a member of the Missionaries of Jesus. I have no regrets responding to God’s call to leave everything behind and follow his Son Jesus of Nazareth. These past five years have been filled with blessings. Even our very low moments as a group became a means for God to make us feel that she was always with us.



PRIMO M. FAGEL, Jr
born in 1969 (Siniloan, Laguna)
first vows, 1991; sacerdotal ordination, 1998

MJ is no success story if, by success, we are dealing only with profits and losses. We are in a very different ballgame. The rules are different; the dynamics, distinct. So perhaps it is time to approach our cause, our struggle, our calling—whatever you would like to name it, differently.





MANUEL U. GACAD
born in 1951 (Bauang, La Union)
first vows, 1974; sacerdotal ordination, 1978

I am a better missionary now, of that I am sure. Had I stayed in the former group, I would not be what I am today, deeply fulfilled and more caring about my brothers in the Missionaries of Jesus. And looking back gives me a lot of pleasure, because I am able to see that my past and my training really sculpted me into what I am today, a good and happy Missionary of Jesus.


JOSEPH RICARDO G. GUERRERO
born in 1960 (Bontoc, Mountain Province)
first vows, 1981; sacerdotal ordination, 1985

In June 1985, I was sent to Guatemala for my first mission assignment. In 2001, I applied for a leave of absence to join a number of CICM’s who were discerning about a new religious missionary institute, having been frustrated with the leadership and the lack of significant support for relevant missionary
orientations and projects.

In that same year, I volunteered to undertake missionary work in Balabagan, Lanao del Sur. From 2002 up to the present, I am the District Coordinator of the MJ Mindanao District.


BENEDICTO B. LAGARDE, Jr
born in 1960 (Dingle, Iloilo)
first vows, 1991; sacerdotal ordination, 1997


I am presently assigned as Formator of Postulants and Aspirants at the MJ Formation House. Since the foundation of MJ, this is the first time that I am not living in a borrowed house! All the previous houses I have lived in remain
for me concrete signs of God’s providential love!



CRESPO A. LAPE
born in 1961 (Balamban, Cebu)
first vows, 1985; sacerdotal ordination, 1989


Here in Lae, Papua New Guinea, I am happy to say that the community we are
envisioning is gradually taking shape—through the presence of opportunities for
growth, offering venues of real communion and making members feel at home.



TEOFILO M. LOPEZ, Jr
born in 1962 (Bugallon, Pangasinan)
first vows, 1992; sacerdotal ordination, 1999

I come from a family that struggled to make a living. When I was a five-year-old poverty was imprinted in my mind as the greatest evil humankind was facing. In school I studied hard believing I would eventually find a solution to the problem of hunger. From there, but many years later, my dream to serve the poor and the marginalized in God’s name was born. I want to do this as of missionary of Jesus.




BERNARD MAES
born in 1944 (Roeselare, West Flanders, Belgium)
first vows, 1964; sacerdotal ordination, 1969

… years of journeying with the community became for me an important stepping stone in the further unfolding of my life as a missionary: the immersion and presence in the people’s struggles and the evolving spirituality of openness,
dialogue, and solidarity as ways of being a disciple of Jesus…






EDWARD LUC MEES
born in 1941 (Lier, Antwerp, Belgium)
first vows, 1960; sacerdotal ordination, 1965

I have found all my missionary experiences humbling and enriching. The people God has asked me to hold in my heart are many and fascinating in their diversity. Thru them I keep discovering the many mysterious ways of God’s ongoing incarnation. They have helped me understand better who I am. And because of them and God’s faithful love I am determined to continue with the adventure in the MJ community of friends and disciples.



MICHAEL ARIEL M. MONTOYA
born in 1967 (Bamban, Tarlac)
first vows, 1989; sacerdotal ordination, 1994


I have decided and made commitment to be a co-founder of MJ. My response was
faithfulness to God’s call, to participate in God’s mission. The intense process
of deciding to commit made me realize that loyalty and faithfulness to one’s
vocation is not measured by how long one stays in the same position but how open one responds to the continued seduction of the Spirit.



NOEL S. OCTAVIANO
born in 1962 (Dawis Norte, Zarraga, Iloilo)
first vows, 1983; sacerdotal ordination, 1988

By opting to become a missionary of Jesus, I grow more to let go and let God take full guidance of my life. I decided to be more focused and committed to follow Him. In the process, I see myself finding more fraternal support and
correction in the community of the Missionaries of Jesus.





FREDDIE B. PINUELA
born in 1964 (Zarraga, Iloilo)
first vows, 1987; sacerdotal ordination, 1995

All in all, my experiences in the missions were very meaningful. Yet, no matter how fulfilling one’s experiences are, other calls with greater challenges always find their way to a missionary’s life. Hence, I accepted to respond to another invitation in joining the Missionaries of Jesus. I was asked to go to Lubang Island to team up with two confreres. Lubang Island is, up to today, my missionary home.



VIRGILIO G. POZON
born in 1957 (Pasig City)
first vows, 1982; sacerdotal ordination, 1987

My wish and dream for MJ is to see and experience our different MJ communities striving, firstly, to live the ideal of community life as religious missionaries; secondly, to be faithful in responding to the challenges of our MJ corporate commitment; and lastly, to be true to our name, Missionaries of Jesus.






EFREN D. REYES
born in 1962 (Taytay, Rizal)
first vows, 1985; sacerdotal ordination, 1993

What I see as the main challenge for MJ’s in the Prelature of Marawi is real immersion into the life and faith of the Maranao communities. This feat entails a basic knowledge of Islam, a good understanding of Maranao culture, and fluency in the Maranao language.





EFREN N. REYES
born in 1954 (Sta Rita, Pampanga)
first vows, 1978; sacerdotal ordination, 1982

Joining the Missionaries of Jesus is not the end of my childhood dream, which began to be realized in CICM. Joining MJ is rather the fulfillment of it. My dream has always been to follow the Lord into the deep with no other security but His Providence.






DIOSDADO B. SANTIAGO, Jr
born in 1979 (Guimba, Nueva Ecija)
first vows, 2007

I joined the Missionaries of Jesus because I want to share in its dream.




GINO A. SANTOS
born in 1965 (Parañaque City)
first vows, 1990; sacerdotal ordination, 1997

When I returned to Manila on the 31st of October 2002, the reality that I had already left CICM and joined MJ immediately crept in. Adjusting to a new way of life was in fully active mode. Whereas being a “confrere” was a way of relating among Scheutists, treating fellow MJ’s as my friends and co-disciples encapsulates a higher dimension of relationships. Meeting co-disciples for the first time as MJ’s was euphoric. Sharing our varied stories of struggles and challenges hurdled in view of founding MJ energizes and inspires me to follow the footsteps of Jesus in a more radical way in the Philippine context.



IGNACIO A. SAWEY
born in 1965 (Cervantes, Ilocos Sur)
first vows, 1986; sacerdotal ordination, 1992


On June 15, 2005, I joined Ver Pozon and Elmo Tactacan to pioneer our MJ mission in the Diocese of Digos, Davao del sur—the Malita Tagakaolo Mission (Matamis). I am beginning to like and enjoy my mission in Matamis. Inspite of the challenges or even the “extra challenges” on the road, I am inspired by
Jesus Christ to continue His mission among His “anawim,” the Lumads of Mindanao.





ALBERT S. SAYSON
born in 1962 (Libon, Albay)
first vows, 1986; sacerdotal ordination, 1993

At the moment, I look after the Parish of St Francis of Assisi, Diocese of
Lae, Papua New Guinea. What a wonderful and challenging mission to live and share the faith with the Melanesians in the Pacific!





NORMAN PEDRO Z. SORIANO
born in 1948 (Aringay, La Union)
first vows, 1969; sacerdotal ordination, 1974


The Dominican Republic was my first mission. For 21 years, I integrated myself into the history, culture, and lived reality of the slum-dwellers of the capital city of Santo Domingo as well as the farmers and sugar plantation workers (mostly Haitians) in the southwest of the country. At present, for two terms now, I am sent to witness God’s mission in partnership with the Young Christian Workers of the Philippines (YCW), one of the most deprived, oppressed, and excluded sectors of our Philippine society.


ELMO R. TACTACAN
born in 1968 (Dupax del Sur, Nueva Vizcaya)
first vows, 1991; sacerdotal ordination, 1998

As an MJ, my first assignment was in Sablan, Diocese of Baguio. The missionary challenge was to live and work among the indigenous peoples of the Cordilleras, to be part of their struggle for recognition, self-determination,
and affirmation, as well as for the preservation of their rich cultural heritage as a people. The same missionary challenge is also very much present in my actual missionary involvement among the Tagakaolo indigenous people in the Diocese of Digos, Davao del Sur.




REY J. TEJICO
born in 1958 (Zarraga, Iloilo)
first vows, 1989; sacerdotal ordination, 1994

As a member of the Missionaries of Jesus, I would like to dedicate my life as a religious for the realization of a more dynamic and responsive approach to mission.






ELIAS P. UBAG
born in 1968 (Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental)
first vows, 1993; sacerdotal ordination, 2001


Vocation Animation is the lifeblood of our religious missionary communities. Everyday and in every way we must share the MJ dream with the young people of today. Let them join in our journey.







ARIS D. VILLANUEVA
born in 1977 (Sta Cruz, Ilocos Sur)
first vows, 2000; sacerdotal ordination, 2007

After almost two years in Mindanao as a missionary intern, Guatemala now looms in the horizon as my next destination.



MELCHOR N. VILLERO
born in 1951 (Manila)
first vows, 1972; sacerdotal ordination, 1976

I spent 18 years of my missionary life in Guatemala and Mexico working with
the Maya Qeqchí Indians and with the formation of basic ecclesial communities
and their leaders. I am very happy to be part of the first MJ missionary team in
the US.



MELANIO R. VIUYA, Jr
born in 1963 (Tarlac, Tarlac)
first vows, 1987; sacerdotal ordination, 1995

I am about to embark for a new assignment: setting up the Mission Promotion Office in the USA. This entails for me an experience of letting go and trusting: letting go of what I have started here in the Philippines and trusting in God’s
providence and people’s generosity in raising funds for the works of MJ.



ENRIQUE R. YMSON
born in 1950 (Baguio City)
first vows, 1970; sacerdotal ordination, 1975

I have realized that it is never too old to learn … and, in fact, it is when
we stop learning that we grow old. While a lot of learning can come from
schools, books, seminars and conferences, it is when you enter into people’s
lives, listen to their stories, eat at their tables, understand their dreams and
share their pains that learning comes to life.



STANLEY Y. YOUNG
born in 1964 (Naga City, Camarines Sur)
first vows, 1985; sacerdotal ordination, 1992


I am on my way to celebrate happily my seventh year of mission work here in Marahan. I am deeply grateful to so many living witnesses of God’s love and care among the leaders and people of the communities entrusted to me. Mission moves on and its future remains ever hopeful only to those who can wait.